BOTOX by Amy FAQs
The Basics of Botox Injections: What You Need to Know about Botox
Here are some of the questions you might have for Amy:
- What is BOTOX? Botox is a simple injection that helps soften dynamic wrinkles with a goal to prevent the dynamic wrinkles from becoming visible on your face at rest.
- Is it right for me? Botox can be used on a wide range of people. Since preventative is key it is actually best to start using botox in your mid-20s or early 30s to prevent wrinkles from becoming permanent. Once the wrinkles are visible at rest it is much harder to reverse.
- How much does it cost? Botox is charged by how many units per area is used. Typically in between the brows can take anywhere from 15-25 units depending on muscle mass and depth of wrinkles. The upper forehead can take 8-15 depending on the size of forehead and severity of wrinkles. The crows feet usually require 10-14 on each eye. The amount of units is so variable from patient to patient and also depends on the look you are going for. Botox can simply soften lines while providing you with natural movement or with a higher dosage can knock out the muscle leaving little to no movement in the areas.
- How do I choose a provider? Whether you choose a doctor, nurse, PA, or NP the most important thing when making a decision is the experience of the provider. Botox is an art and requires a provider who can evaluate a patient and make decisions on dosage and placement based on your anatomy and needs and wants.
- How should I prepare for this procedure? Not much preparation is needed before deciding if you want botox. We ask that you try not to take and NSAIDs, aspirin, or blood thinners the day of the injection and that your refrain from laying flat or exercising 4 hours after the injections. We also ask that you not schedule this appointment within a week or so of an important event as there is always the risk of bruising.
- What happens on the day of the procedure? You will come in meet with myself, we will address what bothers you and discuss what I recommend based out the outcomes you desire.
- What's the recovery time? There is little to no downtime. In some cases, you can be left with a bruise which is usually easily covered by makeup.
- What results can I expect? Your result will depend on what outcome you requested. We can make you have soft natural movement or provide a more "frozen" look.
- What are the possible side effects or risks? The most common side effects are bruising, swelling, and a headache. There have been documented cased of eyelid droop but with correct placement and dosaging, this should not happen. Botox can always be tweaked, sometimes symmetry is very hard to achieve especially if we start with two different brow heights. I request every patient return two weeks after the injections to ensure the results are what the patient wanted.
- What else do I need to know? We participate with brilliant distinctions, a rewards program offered by the makes of Botox, the Juvederm family, Skin Medica, and Latisse. It is a great way to earn rewards and save money if you regularly use any of those products or receive those treatments.